A tragic schoolboy accidentally hanged himself in his bedroom in an act of “childhood curiosity” an inquest heard.
Alfie Hyett, 10, had made his mum a cup of tea after school before going upstairs to play in his bedroom.
Mum Louise Hembrow later found him hanged in front of a full-length mirror in their home in Hereford.
An inquest into his death ruled out fears he had taken part in an internet craze known as the ‘choking game’ and heard he was ‘happy and jolly’ after he returned home from school on March 9 last year
Heartbroken mum Louise. 43, said: “He was as jolly as ever after school that day and made me a cup of tea.
“But later in the evening he didn’t respond when I called him.
“I went to his room and found him sitting upright with a scarf around his neck, attached to the door handle.
“He was a very happy boy. I really have no idea what happened and no explanation for it at all.”
Louise desperately ga
ve her son CPR until help arrived.
Police discovered Alfie had moved a mirror, possibly to look at himself as he played alone in his bedroom.
“But in any event, it is difficult to think a 10-year-old boy would have had the idea to take his own life except in exceptional circumstances.”
The cause of death was vagal inhibition, secondary to self-inflicted hanging.