Saturday, December 24th, 2016
Hebrews 13:5-6 KJV
“Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I WILL NEVER Leave thee, nor FORSAKE thee.  So that we may boldly say, THE LORD IS MY HELPER and I will not fear what man shall do unto me”.
No matter who you are and how hard you try, life does stink sometimes. There’s no vaccine that immunizes anyone against hurts and disappointments.
* You trusted them and now they’ve betrayed you with others. This could be very hurtful. Secrets you shared at intimate levels have now become public knowledge as a result of the insensitivity of your confidants.
* You work so hard yet, instead of being appreciated by your boss and people around you, gang - ups arise amongst trusted co-workers to frustrate your deserved credit.
* The wealthy relative had promised to help out financially with your rent. Having built up your hope of having the rent money on time, you call and his phones are all switched off. You visit his home, only to learn he had travelled overseas a few days earlier.
* The shock of discovering that a teenage daughter is pregnant or that your son had dropped out of school can break the heart. The painful discovery of a cheating spouse or receiving the negative news of the doctor’s report. The death of a loved one, receiving the dreaded sack letter from the office or the painful realization that what you thought was a marriage - potential relationship of 5 years had been a Pipedream all along.
These are all real life situations that people face daily. Disappointments, betrayals & hurts are issues that confront people daily. Sometimes, when faced with the harsh realities of these situations, it would often seem like the whole world is crashing down all around you.
The feelings of disappointment, hurt, anger and even bitterness could become inimical to your well being if left unchecked.
While we pray to be shielded from the vagaries of life, hurts and disappointments are unavoidable in this life. To think otherwise will amount to living in self delusion. The pictures most people had of what their adult lives would be like whilst growing up was one of perfect bliss. Unfortunately, it sucks mostly being an adult. As the harsh realities of life hit, dreams dissipate like the wind -driven smoke from automobile exhaust pipes.
In all of these, God’s love comes shining through like a beacon of hope. As you embrace the comfort of true friends, supportive spiritual and natural family members and a determination to overcome, God causes the tide of life to soon change in your favour.
DO THESE 4 THINGS WHEN DISAPPOINTED, BETRAYED OR HURT.
1. Tell yourself that human nature is fickle and will always have the potential to fail. This will prepare you to better handle contrary circumstances. Acknowledge that the only consistent part of life is God.
2. Let the experience cause you to draw closer to God. This would help you heal faster and live better. God will reverse the effect of the pain, thus maturing you by it.
3. Do not become introverted and shut out the rest of the world. Building a wall around yourself for fear of being hurt again is unadvisable. It will turn you into a bitter recluse that may end up dying miserably without family or friends.
4. Lower your expectation of people. Do not build high expectations of people. It is unreasonable. Remember that even you have been at one time or another, a source of hurt or disappointment to others. Even Jesus was betrayed by Judas. Still It didn’t stop Him from loving us humans forever.
No matter what happens, remember that God has promised to never leave nor forsake you. The essence is to build your confidence in God alone, who remains the only tried, tested and trusted foundation.
Man is a very fickle source of comfort or help. I refuse to stand on slippery ground by trusting in Man. On Christ the solid rock I stand, all other ground is sinking sand. Amen.
Shalom people of God. Here’s wishing you the very best of blessings in this season of Yuletide. May you enjoy the unlimited Grace, Peace, Mercy and protection of God in the name of Jesus. “Feliz navidad”
Pastor Ken Okotcha
I invite you to read more of our devotionals at http://www.nowayobloggers.com/gracevine-devotional
I am an expression of the Divine!